Now it's on to the tiling. I've got hundreds of tiles decorated by visitors to my studio on First Fridays plus many that I created myself. The tiles were bisque fired prior to being decorated. Decorations were done with Sharpies, Sharpie Paints, and some were collaged with clip art and other paper images. Since glazes were not used, firing them in a kiln is not appropriate. I decided, instead, to coat them with an epoxy resin to give them a nice, hard, shiny finish. That is what I'm working on now. I'll also be polishing about half of the pennies so there is a variation of colors among them. Once all the finishing and polishing is done, I'll start on the tiling and grouting. The pennies will go on all the edges and in the recesses around the main 4" x 4" tile that defines that particular side of the shrine. the 2" x 2" decorated tiles will go on the other (non-recess) flat surfaces of the sides of the shrine. I'm really anxious to get this new phase started and see what adjustments I'll need to make and how the project will further evolve.
Still to come: Construction of the Lazy Susan and the Penny Pool/Fountain.